Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Jesus in the Queue! 10 Jan 2021 Baptism of Jesus

 


Jesus in the Queue!

A priest friend of mine told me once, "when I reach Chennai airport, our friends (influential with the government) take me through a separate lane avoiding the "messy" immigration Queue"

"I am important", "I cannot waste time", "I am better than others", "I need some special attention"! The ego gets a pat on the back and the self (falsely) feels nice and elevated!

I remember a scene from that beautiful film on Bishop Oscar Romero!  The daughter of the ruler would approach the bishop for baptism to her child.  Bishop would say very casually and plainly, to come for the next Sunday mass for the same!  She would turn her head away in disgust and say, "Would you like my child to be baptized along with a bunch of Niggers?"

Standing in a queue means, I stand along with others!  I can see others!  I can touch others!  I can converse with others!  I can understand others! I feel a sense of equality!

Going by flights you see people as dots and later, not even that!  You drive a car, you see people and trees and buildings run against you!  You don't really recognize much what goes behind! In motor cycle you begin to wish a few people and by a cycle a few more and when you walk, you talk with many people who walk along with you and say hello and other inquires when you meet people.  You develop relationship and friendship.  Please don't get struck with this example of flight and walk!  It is to indicate, the type of elevation one tries to enjoy!

Too much of consciousness about your status; alienates, separates and sets you aloof!

In India very often we see politicians, officers, ministers and all type of leaders including religious leaders like to enjoy an elevation which is really an alienation!  Alienation however cosy it is, is boring!  Unnatural!  Unhealthy!  It is only when there is a touch and friction, you begin to see life and its beauty, pain and joy, defeat and success, suffering and jubilation!  Life, all in its fullness!

I see, positions as functional and not as statuses in gradation to be grabbed and cling on to!

When I get struck to elevation; I become sick in my dealings with the other human being in two ways; One is, whenever I meet people I don't see them as human beings rather value them with their position, dress, language, colour and the weight of their purse!  If their look is bit shabby, I detest, I disrespect, I disregard, I bypass and I don't care!  And if their position seem to me as bit higher, I feel embarrassed, put on an artificial smile and laughter, try to establish contact, try to get his or her favour, money, recommendation and what not!

People stick stickers on their vehicles, Lawyer, Judge, Police, Army, Bishop, Chairman, Mayor, Minister and what not!  Just to say, "give way!  don't block! I am important!"  They try to get Ambulance like attention! "True in a way"!!

Jesus goes into river Jordon following a queue!  All types of people are there!  The queue represented many in the society!  Tax collectors, Soldiers, Poojaries, sinners etc.  The one who is giving baptism is much "junior" to Jesus! But Jesus goes down before him in that sluggish and muddy river!

What a contrast he sets before us!  While the world is craving and thirsting for power and position and here is Jesus standing in a queue!

But the real recognition comes from top, the top most!  Very often the top most is the deep most!  "Here is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased".

If you look for mundane recognition and create artificial aura around your neck it is not going to give you the real fulfilment in life!

Know the difference between You and your shirt!  You and your mask! You and your uniform!  May be even YOU and your skin!

A long time minister was fed up with administration and wanted to make a spiritual journey to the mountains.  The king reluctantly permitted him to go.  After several months he returned to the city but found a little hut in the outskirts of the city and was leading simple life meditating and helping people, spiritually.  The king heard of it and one fine morning reached the hut.  He found his former minister sitting in meditation.  The king tried to persuade him to return to the palace.  "My dear man, what have you gained?  You went for a long journey and now have returned and lead a very poor life."  The spiritual man replied, "Oh dear king, when I was in the palace, you were sitting and I used to stand before you.  Now, I sit and you stand before me."  That is the difference.

2 comments:

  1. It is eye opening and invites to change by standing on queue. Thanks for share with me.

    ReplyDelete

15th Sunday Better, Smile!

Better smile!  How did you behave when you were distributing to the 5000 plus gathering?   Were you selfish or generous?   Were you feeling ...